The Arctic Ocean’s clean, fresh, icy waters provide the ideal environment for producing healthy cod liver oil from sustainable sources. The cod fishing season in this area is limited to from February to April, meaning that cod stocks are never over-fished. Our fish have the freedom to swim from the frozen polar ice caps to the Lofoten archipelago.
Quality criteria for Prosana Cod
We source our cod (Gadus Morhua) according to the strictest criteria:
Providing the highest quality cod liver oil is our focus at Prosana. We strive to deliver this through quality assurance measures embedded into the 8-step production process, as follows:
1. Our unique cod (Gadus Morhua) are sourced from fresh, clean, icy Nordic waters.
2. We only catch during a limited fishing season between February and April. Only small fishing vessels are part of the fleet.
3. Our catches are landed at small, local cod processors to extract the cod livers. This quick extraction ensures that we can secure the purest and freshest fatty acids.
4. To help protect the quality of the fish oil, nitrogen is added, negating the damaging effects that oxygen has on the product.
5. Further pre-production quality assurance measures and oxidation checks are undertaken at the production facility.
6. Anti-oxidation steps are taken after the oil has been bottled before the bottles are sealed.
7. A post-production quality assurance check is conducted before the product leaves the production facility. It is only at this point that a Certificate of Analysis is issued.
8. This process is strict and detailed. It ensures that Prosana cod liver oil is of the highest quality and contains one of the wealthiest Omega 3 healthy fatty acids sources.